Saturday, February 2, 2008

The best way to describe...

My atheism: I always think about the person in front of me. If I drink the last of the water, I refill the water so the next person can drink water. Had to write it down. Nobody reads this anyway.

-------------------------------------------------
yea i know, this doesn't make sense. i was slightly elevated at the time of its conception, so allow me to try and make sense of it. i'm not sure how i intended to relate it to my atheism... but here we go.

when people need something or want something to better their life, they call to their God. they pray and ask for guidance, and if they don't get it, they pray harder. if that still doesn't work, they question their own faith. that's a stuggle; to be questioning yourself and not really EVER sure if you're right. but you have to have faith, because that is what makes God real to people. they BELIEVE that God is there; that he/she's listening. when i grew up, i never felt like i was being heard. it felt like talking to a brick. i couldn't even fabricate what i thought God was saying to me. i know that even those of the most faithful would say that God never actually speaks to them, but they just know he/she's listening. that's not enough for me. the absence of a God on my part enables me to believe in people. i see and interact with people on a regular basis and i can trust that they will ALWAYS act like human beings. they will always be honest or lie; be happy or sad; be planning for the future or living it day-to-day. i can ALWAYS rely on people to act like people. this relates to my statement above because with my reliance upon people, I feel that people have the same reliance upon me. basically, treat people the way you want to be treated. sound familiar? see, i DO think that the basic principles of Christianity make sense. they're reasonable, honest, and expect a certain goodness within all people. no person is any better than the next, yet we argue about who's right and which religion will get us into to heaven. i say, "why does it matter?" i don't think anyone is any more right than my left foot. we find such solace in separating ourselves by religion, race, class, gender, and sexual orientation, yet we make sure that everything is politically correct. we're going to politically correct ourselves into extinction.

would you like a glass of water?

2 comments:

Amanda Troyer said...

What does being courteous have to do with atheism?

Amanda Troyer said...

Thats why I'm not into religion. I don't really think God is there doing stuff for me or around me, I think he is watching and being. I can't really believe that we all just came to be out of nothing... but I still don't know if I believe in heaven or hell. All I know is I'm going to live by man's most basic laws (I'm not going to roll over and let my government watch my every move) But like you said, "do unto others.." and be a good person and be happy when you die. I'm not going to live my life here toward some goal for an afterlife. There's no way of knowing that will happen and the God I believe made everything knows that, and wouldn't think less of you if you don't follow some silly morals or rituals that you don't find logical... just because a bunch of people got together and said "God" wants it this way. My favorite Quote: “Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear”