Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Letter to my Landlord

Hey Natalynne--

So now MY car has been broken into (I already went to the Miami Township police and filed a report). They stole all of my CDs, which were probably worth a couple hundred dollars, and luckily nothing else because I cleaned my car out the other day. I think there is either someone living in the complex out to rob the rest of your tenants, or there is an unending flow of pedestrians just wandering the place with nothing better to do than commit petty theft. Either way, I'm left uneasy and unsure of how to interpret the safety of the area.

Now, I'm not one to complain about little issues because they tend to have little to no importance in the grand scheme of things, plus, if I did report all issues, I would not be taken seriously and seen as overreacting. I also don't report all issues because I like to give the benefit of the doubt. But when those issues outweigh my concern, I believe it's time to mention them. Back in January, we were one day late on our rent because of an assumption that the office would be closed on the first (due to it being a national holiday). Well, we were obviously wrong and had to pay the late fee, in which we were completely willing because it was our mistake in making that assumption. We're always willing to admit that we are wrong. Last month, though, I feel that we were ripped off. I always abide by the rules by paying all my bills on time and don't gripe if I do have to pay a late fee, but this is the first time I feel I was served an injustice. I understand the rules laid out in the lease and don't expect to be treated differently from any other tenant, and I also respect your role as enforcer of those rules. My position is this-- the first fell on a Sunday last month, and unsure of whether anyone would be there, my boyfriend and I walked down to the office with our rent check in-hand. Well, being closed on Sunday, nobody was there. We looked around for the drop-box and could not find it, and we were not about to just leave the check there in good faith that it would be received the next day. Of course we could not call the office or email anyone for answers, so we went back home with the check hoping to explain the situation the next day and be relieved of the late fee. I was absolutely shocked the next day when I had to pay the fee because I didn't feel it was my fault for not seeing or knowing about the drop box. If I had known there was a drop box, or that the slit in the wall behind the pillar was the drop box, there would be no issue. When the drop-box was pointed out to me after this whole ordeal, I realized that it looks like an un-used mail slot that leads to nothing but a hole in the wall. Yes, I was told it was written in the lease, but there is no label on it, and I'm sure the few people who were not told about it upon signing would make the same mistake as we did.

I'm not looking to pick a fight or demand something I'm not entitled to, but I'm beginning to develop a negative opinion about where I'm living. I'm sure the rules are enforced as strictly as they are because of the area we're located, but I believe that genuinely good tenants deserve (heaven forbid) one day of leniency. I wish for you guys to consider re-writing that part of the lease, allowing tenants just one day during their entire leasing agreement to be obsolved of a late fee, all in good faith that they will pay on time every other time (in other words, if rent is due on the first of every month, I should be allowed to be late only once during my 12-month leasing agreement, allowing me to pay on the second wihout the fee. If I am late on the first any other time, I should be required to pay.) The only reason I propose this to you is because I think it is a mistake to completely dismiss the event of human error. Never once have I been penalized for being only one day late on rent, and it has NEVER been more than a $25 fee for even the second day late. I know you personally did not write the rules and you are only doing your job, but your boss should know that his rules are a bit ridiculous, especially considering the age of the complex and the neighborhood it is located in (I work at a news station.. I know what goes on around here). And if it is argued that this really is a nice place to live, then why do I have to fear for the safety of my vehicle in a private parking lot?

I don't want to harm your reputation by leaving with a negative attitude, as I believe you do offer very superb services. Your maintenance guys have always come within a day of the initial call, and you girls in the office are always incredibly nice and helpful. I just think some of the stricter policies should be reconsidered to allow for happier tenants and a better company. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you mention it to the owner.

No comments: