Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Volunteering

Working at Skyline is slowly stripping me of my intellect, so I have decided to start volunteering at a radio station to keep my head in the game. I will be on the air Sundays 9-noon and Mon/Tues 12-3. I will be going by the name "Holly Berry" and it will be neato! The website is under construction and will be relaunched here soon, but if you want to access it anyway you can just go to www.classxradio.com (or the relaunch site at www.classxradio.com/Goyer)

The station is pretty awesome... as it is based and operated out of Bill Spry's basement in Monroe. Just awesome. It is considered a classic rock station, but it is really considered an AOR station, which stands for "Album Oriented Rock." The difference between classic rock and AOR is that one focuses on hit singles while the other focuses more on the deep cuts and the songs you haven't heard as much. For example, you will hear "Money" by Pink Floyd five times on the Fox in one day while on an AOR station you might hear "the Great Gig in the Sky" or "Time" once in a week. Basically, AOR is out to highlight the greatness that is rock-n-roll while classic rock stations are out to bastardize this once great genre. We can only hear Tom Petty's "American Girl" once in a while, not once an hour.

So it's a non-profit station that will hopefully be a for-profit station in the near future, but Bill Spry is trying to establish his range first, and he's doing a pretty awesome job. He already has 4 transmitter sites that range from SE Indiana to SW Ohio to Northern Kentucky. It's pretty sweet. Not to mention, he has a 5000watt antenna in his back yard. FRICKIN AWESOME. He operates his own computer software company out of his house and the program we use (called "Raduga") in the station is his baby. He wrote it and is currently facilitating it in the radio station he runs out of his basement. The guy is a genius and he knows it. There's a whole history of his success with this station on the website, you should definitely read it. It's very interesting and will give you insight on the progress he is making. It's definitely something I could see myself doing someday, and this is a perfect start for me.

Anyhoo, it's exciting and it's keeping my head out of Skyline too much. I have restored some of my self esteem and my life is picking up a little bit. And even though I'm not getting paid by this station it is still my dream to do the best job I possibly can. Time to go.

Peace and floor grease

No comments: