Friday, December 21, 2007

Validation Part Deux

Talked to my dad again about things and it worked out well. I think we came to an understanding, and some time has gone by so I could gather my thoughts. I got everything off my chest, and he said he would try his best to work on things. I'm relieved. I knew this animosity wouldn't carry on forever, but I was worried that I would just have to give up the struggle and leave it alone. I can't do that. I can't leave things alone until resolved. I I do, it eats me alive. I have too much of a conscience.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but a large problem was that he couldn't wrap his head around my atheism. It's very hard to explain to someone who attributes their entire existance to creationism that I need to "see it to believe it." That instead of having faith in God, I have faith in people. That in order for something to happen, I don't pray for it, I do it. Some people say that good things come to those who wait, but if there's a God, he takes too long. I explained to my dad that it is just as conceivable to say "God always was and always will be" as it is to say that life just started with the big bang. Both are as unbelievable as the next. Nobody can explain it, so I leave it alone. I find that physical evidence is more believable than God putting it there. I believe in billions of years of evolution over seven days of creation. I believe Darwin's Theory of evolution and natural selection. It's almost common sense to me. I see evidence in human adaptations as proof of evolution. How else could our African origin be explained? Humans came out of Africa (that's right, we were all black at one point) and moved north. As they moved further north, their physical features changed (skin color) because they didn't need the protective mellatonin to protect them from harsh UV rays. Skin color lightened as the need for mellatonin decreased (hence white people). And so on and so on. Direct proof in our own species. BUT I could be argued against, and I'm not shitting on those who would. Need to scoot..

peace and back pain!

No comments: